At Spectacle, we believe that purpose-led brands are those who will truly change the game: digging deep to solve the world’s biggest, hairiest problems in order to make our lives better.
Those with a clear vision, a cause to champion, fulfilling a greater need than just creating one more widget are the organizations who generate loyalty.
And don’t just take our word for it. According to a recent survey by Accenture, 62% of millennial and Gen Z consumers said that they are more likely to trust and believe in brands that have a strong stance on issues they care about.
During uncertain times, it’s even more important to be dialed into your purpose: to connect with consumers, reinforce your reason for being among employees, and have a clear message to connect with investors and the public at large.
So, what’s the “why” behind what you do? And can you articulate it to your audiences?
If not, or if it’s been a while since you thought about it, start with this elevator pitch “mad lib” we use to brainstorm with our clients. Fill out the template to workshop your brand’s purpose statement:
Take your time — really think about the DNA of your company and what words really capture the essence of your brand. And most importantly: have fun with it! Get a little crazy; write up a storm. But at the end of the exercise, your thoughts should fit in a neat little paragraph. You can use the output of this worksheet to transform into your investor elevator pitch — or just an internally rallying cry to unite employees across functions.
If you’re stuck, or just need some food for thought, here are a few questions that we ask to help clients unearth their purpose:
1. Starting any conversation on brand purpose should start with why. People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.
According to Simon Sinek, all great organizations and leaders have one thing in common: they start by explaining why — going beyond your product or service and business model (the what and the how).
- What is the greater mission, purpose, or calling that motivates everything you do
- What is the deep WHY that breathes life into your business?
2. Now think deeply about your target consumer. No really, go deep.
- Who are they? How do they live their lives?
- What do they care about?
- What do you want them to take away from your brand?
- How do you make their lives better? What is going to get them excited about your brand?
3. Last but not least, think about what differentiates you from your competition.
- Are there audiences you serve that nobody else does?
- What do you offer your audiences that nobody else can?
- How does your company deliver on your why? How can your company deliver that better than anyone else?
- Can you prove it? What metrics and customer feedback do you have to back it up?
It’s our mission to help our clients get crystal clear on their purpose and their “why” at the core of everything they do so there’s a consistent drumbeat to lead and guide everything from internal processes and cultural building, to investor relations, go-to-market strategies, and external communications with key audiences. It’s not only what helps you stand out in a tough investment market, it’s what helps you get up every day inspired to keep going. The “why” makes it worth it.
Feeling inspired to take your brand’s purpose to the next level? Drop us a line.